3.1.05

... and a happy new year to you all.

I tried one of those self-checkout counters at Superstore today. I don't know how this is any faster or more efficient than a traditional cashier. Upon arrival, I had to get it reset by a cashier before starting (not my fault), and if you buy a dozen of something (like I did), you can't just type “12” or anything like that. Nope. You have to scan one, wait for the computer, then repeat the process eleven more times. Afterwards, you have to sign on a digital screen with a stylus (for credit card purchases). My signature was loopy and looked nothing like my autograph.

For groceries, Wal-Mart has the upper hand on Superstore, price-wise. However, if you wanted to return something at Wal-Mart customer services today, be prepared to wait in excess of 30 minutes. In addition, every checkout queue snaked across the main aisle into the clothing section. People with children holding French fries from McDonald's lined up steering shopping carts piled high with leftover Christmas wrapping and cards.
--
How evil are your favourite web sites? According to the Sect of Homokaasu, the web site I developed for my EDIT 486 course is 99% evil, 1% good. Maybe because it's organic chemistry.