5.10.06

I was just thinking about how I have $1.13 left in my wallet until tomorrow. So that means no eating out, and no Dollar Menu from McDonald's since they haven't gotten out of their trans-fat food preparations yet.

I fixed myself a great big plate of spaghetti and meatballs for supper once I got home (at 5 p.m. today, since this is midterm week and no more tutoring) and thought how it might cost about $10 at a restaurant. Cooking at home is definitely cheaper.

1/3 of 1 lb. (=150 g) box of thin spaghetti: about 17 cents
1/4 of 10 oz. jar (=184 mL) of spaghetti sauce: about 26 cents
1/5 of 8 oz. bag (= 45 g) of shredded cheese: about 25 cents
5 Italian-style meatballs (1 oz. each): about 32 cents

Deluxe dinner for about a dollar. Healthier and tastier than Kraft Dinner, McDonald's or Chef Boyardee. And more filling than any Hungry-Man XXL dinner.