19.11.06

About Black Friday...

Living in America means that everything a person can possibly want is offered exponentially. That means there might be ten times the choices when it comes to choosing a basic loaf of bread (white, whole wheat, whole grain, whitewheat, potato, butter - and several brands for each variety), a package of gum, or a pair of leather shoes. On top of that, there are many retailers in the business (see gas stations, drugstores and supermarkets) offering the same products.

Last year, I was having Thanksgiving dinner with the family of a dear colleague, and they musingly offered to drop me off and let me shop the following morning if I wished. (They don't shop, they buy.) I told them I was fine. This year, however, I will ... stay away from the crowds. I don't understand why people would line up for hours so that they can save $3 on a DVD, or purchase a computer that will land on the clearance rack in a month's time anyway. Well, maybe I might go shopping for groceries, or visit a park, because everyone will be at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

In Canada, where Boxing Day is the equivalent of Black Friday, I spent the last couple of them at home. And I didn't lose any sleep.