10.12.06

I was in Greensboro yesterday for the ViF Holiday Celebration. After reuniting with a few colleagues, I left for home (a 100-mile drive) at 23:45. This is after I've been up since about 2:30 in the morning (see previous post time stamp). So the smallest distractions along the way will make me jump.

1. On I-73 S/I-74 E/U.S. 220 S: A medium-sized mammal crossing the highway, taking his or her time, while I am barreling at 65 mph. I missed it by maybe two metres.
2. On N.C. 211 E: There is a railroad track that parallels this two-lane highway. It is crossing an access road without stop gates when it toots the horn (in case I am turning onto this road, which I was not). It made my heart pound like crazy.
3. On N.C. 211 E: I am the only car going eastbound (obviously, since it is past midnight). A car flies by in the other direction. Then FOUR police cars with their flashing sirens on trail him/her, following the car to who-knows-where. All I know is that I am not guilty of speeding.

It was also interesting going into the 24-hour grocery store in Aberdeen at 1:00 to pick up some things. There were two customers in this humongous store: me and a guy buying some liquor. Then there were all those stockers along every aisle. At this time of day, only self-checkout lines were open, and the guy initially had no way of showing his ID to the computer.