How much fun can you have in South Edmonton?
On Saturday evening, my friend K. and I felt like wasting four hours. So we did.
At 8 p.m., we went to the Mohawk gas station on 23rd Ave. to visit my friend J., who seems to have a knack for getting jobs that involve gas stations.
We went to Best Buy (South Edmonton Common) at about 8:40 because they closed at 9. We looked at random digital cameras, USB keys and DVDs. They don't force you out at 9, nor do they announce that they close. It's a customer relationship thing.
Afterwards, K. and I went to !ndigo, to look at books. K. is going travelling (again) this summer, so he was looking at travel books. I went to look for Haddon's novel, which I found, bought and read in one sitting the following day. We each had a cool drink in the café that cost $4 each, but made us thirstier still. !ndigo closes at 10 pm.
Second Cup on 34th Ave. was next. They close at 11. I saw lots of college and university students who were cramming for their final exams. Suckers. We each had a coffee.
We returned to Mohawk to give J. a double shot of espresso that we bought for him at Second Cup. This is an unexplainable drink. 50 mL of concentrated, bitter, black coffee for $2. I don't see how anyone can drink it, but it made J. smile. We chatted outside for about an hour in the cold. By then it was midnight, and K. gave me a ride home.