The inventor of ramen instant noodles has died at the age of 96. It has been one of my 'staple' foods ever since I was a young child. As a starving university student, I could go through a case of 30 in maybe a month. Ready in 3 minutes!
When I came the the USA in September 2005, with $1,700 from an "interest-free loan" to last me a month, and a load of expenses to take care of (rent, car lease, insurance, etc.), I must have eaten ramen at least twice a week for dinner. At ten for a dollar, you can't beat the price. (They are three times more expensive in Canada.) Of course, with all the money I saved, I ate out (with my new acquaintances at the time), bought useless junk and depleted my savings anyway.
Today I treat it as "fast food" because it is high in sodium. Maybe once a month, as a snack, if I'm reminiscing about childhood.