9.8.07

I drink a lot of milk, even if I'm partially lactose intolerant. It is fortified with vitamins and a good source of protein, and I don't mind the taste. Anyhow, coming from the U.S., where I could usually get a gallon (3.78 L) of skim milk for less than $3, it shocked me when I went to Montreal and found out that a 1 L carton cost 1.38, and a 4 L bag cost 4.63. Well, that wasn't so bad, thank goodness for price laws established by the Quebec government ... then I came to Kingston, where prices range from 2.03 to 2.74 for a 1 L carton. And these are grocery store prices! Unbelievable!

The most economical solution is to buy the 4 L bag (3 bags of 1.33 L each) for about $4 and a plastic container to store it in. I realize that in western Canada and in the U.S., we are pretty fortunate to have 4 L (or 1 gallon) of milk sold in convenient plastic jugs (although it isn't as environmentally-friendly).