30.6.04

Election Day is over. I spent over six hours glued to CBC Newsworld, wondering how the election would turn out. Of course, I went to the polling station straight after work to cast my vote. I'm glad the Liberals kept their two seats in Alberta, the only two in the province. Unfortunately, the NDP do not have enough seats to keep the balance of power. I would have voted NDP, but I felt it would have been a wasted vote. In my riding of Edmonton-Beaumont, the incumbent, David Kilgour (Liberal), beat out his closest rival (Conservative) by a mere 131 votes. Mr Kilgour has represented our riding faithfully for about a quarter of a century, but the rural area south of Edmonton (part of the new riding) was a small-c conservative region, a fact that explains the closeness of the final count.

Today there was no free sample at Starbucks, contrary to what it said on the Yahoo! site. As a result, my friend and I paid for a full cup. We didn't actually ask for the free sample, we were hoping it was an unadvertised special. Everyone who ordered the new Frappucino light paid for theirs. (Maybe they were hoping it would be free, as well.)

Want a CD from pre-2003 for under $4? Better hurry, the bookstore at the UofA is clearing out all of their music. 80% off retail price! This deal is especially good for cheesy pop music that you wouldn't pay $15 for, but like one or two of the songs on an album (and if you are philosophically opposed to downloading music). To save you some time, if you like classical music, there's nothing good left.