16.6.06

I have just returned from a three-day paper engineering workshop at NC State University in Raleigh. (Well, I arrived on Monday evening after teacher workday and departed on Thursday afternoon.)

One of the first events I attended on Monday evening was the viewing party the Carolina Hurricanes had at the RBC Center. We watched Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals on the scoreboard. I was surrounded by Hurricanes fans. I couldn't reveal my true loyalties because I was afraid of getting swallowed by the crowd alive. So when the Hurricanes scored, and the guy next to me wanted to give me high fives, I had no choice but to put out my palms. We did this twice (Carolina ended up winning, 2-1).

NBC showed Edmonton fans getting off the LRT at Coliseum, and the attendees booed that.
They booed when the broadcast was showing the Oilers skating onto the rink, and when Ryan Smyth was being interviewed, so I couldn't hear what he was saying. It's odd how Hurricanes fans say that Oilers fans are crazy, and they are just as loud and rambunctious.

The Storm Squad was their version of cheerleaders for hockey. The blonde-haired young ladies came out and were slingshotting OLN-labeled stuff into the crowd.