I was on my usual walk during lunch hour when I decided to walk east on Jasper Ave from 97th St. It was a sunny day and I was busy listening to the radio. As I walked by yet another shopping cart filled with old sleeping bags, clothing and useless junk I heard a cry from below. "BUDDY!". I looked over and saw a homeless guy and woman trying to climb Grierson Hill. "GIVE ME A HAND," he called out. They were about 10 metres down and wanted me to pull them up back to street level. I didn't want to get dirty, smell like booze, or risk being stuck down there with two dirty people, so I waved my hand and walked on. The man called out again, "HELP ME OUT HERE!" Yeah, right. I thought he might pull out a gun or start chasing after me, so I marched on, afraid to look back. By the time I stopped I was at that halfway house where they keep convicted criminals. I crossed the street back to the bike path and finally felt safe. That area freaks me out, and I'm never walking to the park using that way again.
Yesterday there was a crowd of people on my usually quiet neighbourhood street. There were three firetrucks. Only one had to draw out a fire hose, though. I don't know what the whole deal was, but I think some teens were playing with fire in their garage and oops! However, the garage is still in one piece the last time I checked.