20.5.04

I wish I had a pair of inline skates so I could zip around. I've always wanted a pair, but never got around to getting them. We will see this year. I would also need to buy some safety gear as well.

Work is getting progressively exciting. Another day of identifying software and then mapping them to the appropriate licenses and the database entry. Your tax dollars at work. After work, I waited at the bus stop for 15 minutes before realizing the bus run I was waiting for did not exist anymore, but I'm too cool to pick up one of those timetables from the front of the bus and keep it in my pocket.

Nobody at work is talking about hockey or the Flames. I think it's because the IT branch is more interested in the latest version of Roxio Easy Media Creator (formerly known as Adaptec Easy CD Creator, until they changed the company name, and the ability to burn DVDs as well as CDs was included) is. Any computer user knows that it's a candy-coated useless piece of software. In fact, one of the first things I did when I got my new computer (a few years ago) was uninstall Easy CD Creator.

The people at IT also lock down all corporate computers so that nobody can run any external programs. My computer, for example, runs the antivirus scanner automatically every two minutes! And there's no way I can stop it. The links to the network drives are already broken, and I haven't used them. (The network drive mapping function is disabled on my account.) I cannot get updated versions of the software, because that would be running an executable. My co-workers are annoyed at the IT Help Desk because I can't do my work if I cannot run the updated files. And the IT Help Desk (separate from my department) is probably annoyed at me for calling them all the time, but hey, I didn't give myself the restricted access. I can't even change my password, and I had to read it out loud over the phone when the IT guy was on my computer and I was working at another workstation. Just don't send anything too personal to king.luu@[edmonton.ca]...

Anyway, congratulations to the Calgary Flames for being Canada's Team. Go Flames Go!