My next assignment for the City of Edmonton is in the IT department. The vast majority of the staff have abandoned the 18th floor at Century Place, taking up the newly-renovated 17th floor. This means that my office space is located on the 18th. My supervisor mentioned something about cleaning up the asbestos on this floor, but I wouldn't know.
I get to use a corporate-owned cell phone, which is the only phone I have access to at work. In case you don't know me, I've never used a cell phone. Until yesterday. Still not sold on the idea of having one. Why make yourself more accessible to others when you don't have to?
The computer they gave me was pretty crappy, because they didn't give me all the access I was supposed to have, so I had to work on the 17th. The good news is that I actually have Internet and e-mail at work, unlike at Community Services. Today somebody came to fix it up and it's fine now. I bet when he's gone, it won't work properly anymore.
I'm supposed to track every piece of software the City owns and compile it into the main database. Since they have two databases and a multitude of spreadsheets (and sheets of paper), it's not as easy as it sounds. The database is a MS Access/Oracle thing, and it's not as reliable as it should be. So this assignment might take me the whole six weeks I am there.