4.9.04

I went to see what was up at the UofA yesterday (my third time this week; the first two were for textbook shopping). As I was searching for one, I found out that CNS upgraded the computers in ED N3-110 [Macintosh lab] to Power Mac G5! Wow, I can feel the 64-bit computing power already. Too bad it wasn't open for service yet, but I am going to spend all my spare time during the academic term in there, you can count on that. (Way better than those Dells with crappy Windows XP they have next door.)

On a different note, researchers at Boston University have developed a suntan lotion that allows you to get burned with minimal side effects! How did they do it? They added oligonucleotides with thymidines at the end, which activates the DNA repair mechanism automatically in skin cells. It reduces aging of the skin and stimulates melatonin production. They've tested this on mice and human skin fragments (ex vivo) with much success (but not yet with real humans). The challenge now is to figure out a way to get the cream, with DNA fragments (which are charged) across the skin barrier. Suntanning without skin cancer? Sounds good to me.